Harlech Castle - Castell Harlech

Located in the town of Harlech construction of this concentric castle began in 1283 and has been the site of a number of sieges. Owen Glynd?r held the castle between 1404 and 1409. In the Civil War it was the last castle to fall to Parliamentary forces. It is situated on a rocky outlet overlooking the Irish Sea in the small town of Harlech within spectacular scenery. The thick inner walls have towers at each corner and the domestic buildings are against the inside of the walls. The gateway to the castle is flanked by two large towers. The outer walls are shorter and less thick than the inner. When built the sea came up to the castle and there is a stone stairway that led directly down to the water. The castle is northwest of Dolgellau on the A496.

Celtic nation:

Itinerary:

Place type: