Week St Mary

The Domesday Book of 1086 records Week St Mary as the manor of Wich, with St Mary added later. At that time, Wich had six villagers and ten smallholders. A Norman castle is situated to the west of the church and a low circular mound is the remains of a Norman motte. The village today follows the layout of the medieval town. The current church building dates to the 14th and 15th centuries, with parts of the Norman stonework remaining. The chantry chapel of St John the Baptist, was founded by Dame Thomasine Percival in 1508 as was the Grammar School.

Week St Mary Castle is reached by a stile on the west side of the churchyard.

Celtic nation:


Place type: