Dolforwyn Castle - Castell Dolforwyn

Built in the 1270's by Llewellyn the Great this castle is located on a hilltop. The castle was taken by Edward in 1277 and despite falling back into Welsh hands in 1322 for a short period the castle remained under English control until it fell into disrepair in the later fourteenth century. The remains that can be seen today include a large round tower, rectangular keep and curtain walls. The site is located southwest of Montgomery/Trefaldwyn towards Newtown/Drenewydd at Abermule on a minor road off the A483.

Celtic nation:

Itinerary:

Place type: